Seedbox Discussions SATA 3 Hard disk

Do seedbox providers use SATA 3 Hard disk for the seedboxes?If not,is it because expensive, hard disk can't take advantage of it or what?

Figyelem! Szexuális ragadozók az nCore-on! Kattints a képre!

Szexuális ragadozók az nCore-on!
They use that and even HSSD, SSD for maximum upload rate of multiple files :)
An example of provider : seed.st

Even the fastest hard drive on the market today will barely exceed 150 MBps, so Sata 3 would only be of benefit to cached operations on the drive. This has been shown to have no effective improvement on drive performance. For SSDs it is a different story.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/hdd-charts-2012/Read-Throughput-Maximum-h2benchw-3.16,2900.html

It'll differ depending on the provider. You'll find a lot of seedboxes are using old atom systems. While I don't really know for sure they don't use a sata3, but they're often older machines so I don't see them having sata3 drives as an option.

You'll find the newer systems are more likely to have Sata3 drives and some that like to advertise will promote ssd hard drives.

With concurrent reading, you can expect a half decent sata3 drive to read 50MB/sec, and write at a slower rate. As with torrents, you'll find that there will be a lot of seeking. If the system makes good use of cache, this will help considerably with the seeking issue. Sata2 is a lot slower... if I remember right, they'll be able to read at up to about 15MB/sec. Decent SSD hard drives have a theoretical maximum of about 150MB/sec.

To complicate matters even further, on some shared systems (and very nice dedicated systems), they can be set up with a raid system, thus speeding up the read speeds and seek times considerably.