General Discussion Male birth control

This is my first thread! I was having this discussion the other day with friends, and there were some interesting views from the guys. So I'm curious, If male birth control was available would you men be willing to take it? Why or why not? Also, where do you feel the responsibility for protection lies the most? On the male or the female? Both?

Figyelem! Szexuális ragadozók az nCore-on! Kattints a képre!

Szexuális ragadozók az nCore-on!
Its called condoms ;P

I personally don't like female birth control. My soon to be wife had been on it for nearly 6 years. Now she has been off it for a year and we are having trouble getting pregnant. It's funny to cause the doctor said it is probably because she was on BC for so long. Funny they don't tell you that when the prescribe BC.

I'm talking about a birth control pill. Would you take one daily, in lieu of using a condom?

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 AM ----------

That is a sad side effect of female birth control. There are many of them though, including serious health risks.

Its called condoms ;P

I personally don't like female birth control. My soon to be wife had been on it for nearly 6 years. Now she has been off it for a year and we are having trouble getting pregnant. It's funny to cause the doctor said it is probably because she was on BC for so long. Funny they don't tell you that when the prescribe BC.
Pharmacology! Woot.

Like any therapeutic, the pill does have many risks. However, I think in someways it's a lot more 'natural' than some might take it. Physiologically, the woman is taking a dose of horomones that mimicks being pregnant, which has the effect of the body not allowing 'further' fertilization.

Just like after a pregnancy a woman's fertility is hampered for a while, so it is after birth control. But, I can totally see it being very frustrating if it wasn't something that you had expected to happen. All the best luck, I'm sure it will only be a matter of time and things will work out. At least it's not the most unpleasant task to continue attempting? :p

Anyways, back on topic- I think male birth control will be a fantastic technology. The pill has limited effectiveness due to how easy it is to forget to take the pill one day. If both partners were taking
something, then the chances of failure would decrease a lot. Condoms aren't actually as effective as some may think; I believe the stats are close to 2% failure rate per year. That's according to wiki, but I believe the prof printed that out when we were doing repro-pharm.

It's actually not as far away as one might think. In India, they've been starting to trial 'vasalgel' , which is this injectable, but very safe, polymer that rips apart sperm.... you inject it in to the vas deferenes, and then can remove it by simply injecting water. Apparently it's pretty effective too; I don't think it'll be in North America until ~2015 though, if everything works out, that is.....

AlloyedTorque,

The trial in India is actually what started the discussion. Its pretty intriguing, the injections last 10 years, from what I read. You're correct though on the having to remember it daily. I like hearing that you'd be open to trying a male form of it though. You'd be surprised at how many guys said they wouldn't take it.