Seedbox Discussions A Few Seedbox/Ubuntu Questions

I am planning on buying a Kimsufi server directly from OVH. I am planning on using the guide compiled by Copper to setup my Seedbox from scratch. I have went over his guide pretty thoroughly this week and I just had a few questions.

1) OVH offers ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10 installs. Most of the tutorials I have seen uses ubuntu 12.04, including Copper's guide, although a user stated in the guide thread 12.10 works but only use it if you are fairly strong in ubuntu. My question is will I be missing out on anything if I opt for 12.04? Will 12.04 be supported a few years from now? I looked on my current Seedbox and it is running 10.04. My main goal is to ensure I don't have to upgrade the OS a few months or a year from now.

2) For the Self-Signed Cert using Openssl. Copper's guide set it to expire in 1 year, I assume after a year, I will just run this command again to renew the cert?

3) Last question, the guide mentioned that when I create the Self-Signed Cert that it would prompt me for a "name" and to use a domain name if I have one. Will OVH provide a domain name and can this name be anything?

Thanks in advance